Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Challenge Accepted

Today was my last morning at the gym for two weeks; tomorrow I am having minor surgery. It is not a serious health condition or anything life threatening but rather a corrective, follow-up procedure to a surgery I had in January. Someday I may discuss or even blog about what it was, but today is not that day. Strangely, it wasn't the thought of surgery that was bothering me this morning but rather the recovery: 10 long weeks of not being able to move like I want, work out as I wish or even do mundane tasks like pick up a case of water or my dog, Tucker. My stomach began to tie itself in knots as I recalled all the details and the toll it took on me mentally and physically. I lost weight, lost muscle and self-doubt started to creep back in. These were depressing memories. Then I remembered that in the last four weeks of my training I had pushed my limits and it had been spectacular! The muscle tone I lost had returned and my body fat percentage was back to 14%, which was my goal. More importantly, if I could do this once, I could do it again. With that in mind, I got up, dressed and headed to the gym for one final kick-ass workout.

After a fantastic lift, and some HIIT on the StairMaster, it hit me: Why not turn this negative into a positive? Why not use this as a unique opportunity to have you train with me? Then I thought, "Would anyone be interested? I am still doing it either way, but it would be nice to have some company." The idea is to make the journey to a healthy lifestyle a step by step process that is not overwhelming. I truly believe most people want to take the leap to eating clean and exercising but either are afraid or have a laundry list of excuses. Also, there is  too much information to sort through so it is hard to know what is right and what really works. Then there is the gym...You walk in and look one way to see a woman running full speed on a treadmill not breaking a sweat and the other way is a muscle guy with a neck as big as your thigh lifting two gigantic dumbbells. Confused, you just stand there looking lost, wondering why you came and where do you even begin? I think this is where I can offer some assistance. Remember, I didn't know anything when I started and it was only through continued research and trial and error that I came up with my plan. My way is not the only way, but perhaps it will give you a starting point.

This is my plan for the next two weeks: I will be publishing a series of blog entries pertaining to goal setting, nutrition and training preparation. This will be the time to get your house in order: choose a food prep day and menus, make grocery lists, prepare meals, join or renew your gym membership, put together your gym bag, set up a training schedule, find a training partner (if you wish) and, most importantly, set goals. Moderate cardio will begin in week 3 and in week 4 we will add legs with light weight and body weight exercises. Core will be added in week 6 and upper body in week 8. By week 10, we will have been working full body for two weeks.  I will supply recipes, sample menus, exercises and instructions for those who are interested. Don't worry, this will not begin as a hardcore workout because there is a lot I will not be able to do. However, if my Doctor is correct, I should heal faster this time and then the timeline can be accelerated.

Then I started thinking, 10 weeks.....this is perfect! You will be able to show off all your progress and new sense of self by July 4th! How exciting would that be??? I know from experience it is! Last August, we were invited to a friend's lake house for the weekend.  I hadn't worn a bathing suit at any type of event and was itching to do so. I looked at it as "the big reveal". It wasn't that I wanted to impress anyone or was looking for compliments but rather I was proud of my hard work and what I had accomplished. The day came and it was more than I had hoped for. I did receive compliments about my physical appearance but there were more about how I seemed so different, stronger and happier. Questions were asked about what I was doing and why. Those four friends are very dear to me and have been incredibly supportive through this journey. They have known me for more than 5 years so they have a basis of comparison of what I was and what I had become. All in all, it was a very fun, meaningful and validating weekend. You too can experience this!

The other reason to join me is because we need each other, i.e. "It takes a Village". Okay, I must confess, I need you. I almost went crazy last time and by the end of February I was losing it. I was uptight, edgy, and had several days where I ate an entire 10oz bag of peanut butter M&Ms in one sitting. Yes, I am an emotional eater and although I have gotten better about it, there have been a few days in the last 4 months where I swear my car drove itself to the store and then through an out of body experience I ended up in the candy aisle. It happens, then you move on.

So, this is my proposal. Are you up for the challenge? Are you ready to set aside excuses and make a change? I hope you will join me during my recovery so you can begin or continue your journey to a healthier lifestyle! Who's in?

Until next time, be your best self and keep it Fit with Attitude!

XOXO,

Carrie



April 2014- 112lbs and 14% Body Fat





1 comment: